Yoga Enhances IQ
The intelligence you are born with is not your birthmark for your entire life. If you make up your mind to increase your IQ, there are multiple ways to do so. All that is required of you is sincerity and perseverance. The idea of enhanced intelligence spawns from the desire to change, learn, and achieve.
Clinical tests have shown that consistent yoga practice can raise your IQ and increase your memory. Studies have found that yoga besides improving fitness, health, co-ordination, reaction time and memory, also positively influences IQ.
How does yoga help?
Are you aware of the fact that low levels of oxygen can deteriorate your brain function? Your brain, and all vital organs, needs rich supplies of oxygen. Yogic breathing techniques (Pranayama), especially deep breathing techniques, increase the supply of oxygen to the brain. This helps ameliorate your concentration and memory.
Yoga teaches us the art of focusing using tried and tested body-awareness techniques. When we are more focused, our efficiency levels increase and we have more energy for the task in hand. People who practice Transcendental Meditation demonstrate the ability to solve problems, acquire and recall information better-probably because they're less distracted by their thoughts.
A Comparative study of three different Yoga modules on Logical Memory in school children conducted by Vivekananda Yoga Research Foundation, Bangalore, India reports that uni-nostril breathing increases spatial memory score without lateralized effects. Hence, the present study assessed the effect of integrated approach of yoga module (IAYM) on the performance in logical memory test of Schoolchildren.
This study was on school children undergoing a residential yoga for 10 days observed the efficacy of IAY on logical memory. The assessment was done by Wechsler memory scale for logical memory, which showed a significant improvement in all three groups following their respective interventions. In both males & females there was no significant difference between the groups.
Yoga that helps improve your memory power, fight forgetfulness and increase IQ
The brain functions of attention, cognition, processing of sensory information and visual perception are honed with yogic practices. Yogic practices hatha yoga, which is a medley of asanas, pranayama, meditation and Om chanting increase blood feed to the brain. This helps in soothing mind and enhances concentration.
Memory power is given a boost, while also improving the ability to maintain focus and concentration.
- YOGA ASANA: Sarvangasana and Bhujangasana are the two main asana, which are a great remedy to all your physical and mental problems.
- PRANAYAMA: In pranayama, the mind is focused on the breath as it flows in and out of the body. Oxygen and prana (energy) levels in mind and body also elevate due to the regulation of breath. Bhastrika, Kapalbhati and Brahmari Pranayam are the best.Udgeeth Pranayama, Abdominal Breathing, Brahmari Pranayama, Dirgha Pranayama, Ujjayi Pranayama, Nadi Shodhana Pranayama, and Breadth of Fire also deserve mention. They improve the memory power and alleviate forgetfulness.
- OMKAR CHANTING: Here you inhale air from one nostril and exhale through the other. While you breathe in from one nostril you need to close the other one with your thumb and while breathing out release your thumb.
- Open-Legged Forward Bend and Sirshasana are some other yoga practices that strengthen memory.
There are some yogic techniques that exclusively stimulate the brain and nervous system to improve memory and concentration.
- Dharana: or the practice of Concentration: is known to yoke the wandering mind. This relieves strain on the mind. Mental strength increases. Efficiency and effectiveness of work is known to improve. The daily practice of dharana reduces the wavering attitude of mind with peace and mental calm settling into life. Moreover it trains the mind to become clear, focused and directional.
- Meditation: is a step beyond Dharna, requiring even more mental focus and concentration. The practice of meditation, either by itself or in conjunction with asana and pranayama solaces the mind by reducing excessive thinking.
So with this new enlightenment, embrace yoga not only for a healthy mind and body but also an improved IQ!
Is chess an art, a science or a jigsaw puzzle? Some claim its motley. It is one of the most powerful educational tools available to strengthen your child's mind.
Playing chess is one operation that fully exercises your mind. Chess is quite like a brain tonic which enhances concentration, patience, and perseverance, as well as develops creativity, intuition, memory, and most importantly, the ability to process and extract information from a set of general principles, learning to make tough decisions and solving problems flexibly.
Did you know playing Sudoku helped boost your IQ? It is one of the most powerful brain work-outs. It hones many thinking skills of yours. Let us survey this game's influence on IQ..
Logic puzzles such as Sudoku are the cherry on the cake when it comes to exercising the brain. Earlier, oblivious to the world and only known to Japan, this game has briskly expanded its footprints and has taken the shape of a phenomenal fad. These addictive variations of the brain teasers have become a common feature of newspaper puzzle pages, brain storming books and quizzes.